Visa regulations

All foreigners require visas for stays of more than three months or stays leading to gainful employment.

Exemptions apply to EU and EEA (European Economic Area) citizens and Switzerland. Citizens of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea and the United States of America may obtain any residence permit that may be required after entering Germany.

Citizens from all other countries must obtain a visa to enter and stay in Germany.
After you have received a letter of invitation or a written confirmation from the Institute stating that you will be working in Germany, please contact your local German embassy or consulate-general as early as possible to apply for a type D entry-visa.
This visa will allow you to enter and stay in Germany for the duration of its validity (usually up to 90 days). If you wish to stay longer, the visa can be extended or changed to a longer-term residence title (e.g. residence permit).

Do not apply for a tourist visa. This visa would not allow you to work in Germany and would require you to return to your country of origin after 3 months.

The approval procedure may take between 3 weeks and 3 months to complete.

Please note that the visa will not allow you to travel to other European countries. Once you obtain a residence permit (Aufenthaltsgenehmigung) from the local Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde), you will be free to travel to other European countries in the European Economic Community.

If you will be accompanied by your spouse and/or children, they must obtain visas as well.

For more information about visa regulations, please visit the website of the Federal Foreign Office

For information on an easy immigration process for researchers, please download this brochure

Health insurance

Before you travel to Germany, please check with your health-insurance company to verify that you will be covered in Germany. If you are not, it would be advisable to obtain a travel insurance from your local health insurer that will cover you for at least the first days of your stay in Germany until you are able to purchase a policy from a German health-insurance company.

Where to stay for the first days

The guest house of the Max-Planck-Institute for Infection Biology provides temporary accommodation until you are able to secure an apartment of your own. The House is located close to our Institute. here

Please contact for a reservation

Mrs. Bettina Warmbrunn
Arnold-Graffi-Haus, Haus D85, Erdgeschoss, Zimmer 0.03
Telefon 030 / 9489 3720
Fax 030 / 9489 3389
E-Mail: warmbrunn(at)bbb-berlin.de

We highly recommend  that you inform us as soon possible if you wish to make a reservation for an apartment in the guest house. (Please contact Alexandra Chylla for more information). For a listing of apartments, shared rooms and vacation apartments, you might try

Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Molekulare Pharmakologie im Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FMP)
Campus Berlin-Buch
Robert-Roessle-Str. 10
13125 Berlin, Germany
+4930 94793 - 100 
+4930 94793 - 109 (Fax)

Diese Website verwendet Cookies zur Verbesserung des inhaltlichen Angebots. Datenschutz OK