Registration of your address

Everybody who lives in Germany must register with the local Citizens’ Registration Office (Bürgeramt) within 14 days of moving into an apartment. You may register the address of the guest house until you find an apartment. Any change of address must be registered with the local Citizens’ Registration Office.

Please bring your valid passport, the lease contract and the completed registration form: „Anmeldung bei der Meldebehörde“ (in German only).

You will get a stamped registration confirmation (Anmeldebestätigung), which may have to be presented to other authorities as well.
An appointment with the office should be made in advance.

The addresses of the appropriate offices and their opening hours can be found here:

The Berlin offices close to FMP:
Opening hours and adresses of Bürgerämter in Pankow

    Bürgeramt Pankow
    Breite Straße 24A-26, 13187 Berlin
    Rathaus Pankow

Map / Stadtplan

Montag 08.00 – 15.00 Uhr
Dienstag 11.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Mittwoch 08.00 – 13.00 Uhr
Donnerstag 11.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Freitag 08.00 – 13.00 Uhr

    Bürgeramt Prenzlauer Berg
    Fröbelstraße 17, 10405 Berlin
    Haus 6

Map / Stadtplan

Montag 08.00 – 15.00 Uhr
Dienstag 08.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Mittwoch 08.00 – 13.00 Uhr
Donnerstag 08.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Freitag 08.00 – 13.00 Uhr

    Bürgeramt Weißensee
    Berliner Allee 252 – 260, 13088 Berlin

Map / Stadtplan

Montag 08.00 – 15.00 Uhr
Dienstag 11.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Mittwoch 08.00 – 13.00 Uhr
Donnerstag 11.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Freitag 08.00 – 13.00 Uhr
Samstag 09.00 – 13.00 Uhr
(jeden 3. Samstag im Monat)

    Bürgeramt Karow/Buch
    Franz-Schmidt-Str. 8-10, 13125 Berlin

Map / Stadtplan

Montag 08.00 – 15.00 Uhr
Dienstag 11.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Mittwoch 08.00 – 13.00 Uhr
Donnerstag 11.00 – 18.00 Uhr
Freitag 08.00 – 13.00 U

Closest office in the Brandenburg area is in Panketal. See the following link (only in German)

Residence permit

All citizens from countries outside EU, EEA must apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners’ Registration Office (Ausländerbehörde) within 3 months of entering Germany. As it can take up to 6 weeks until you receive the document, it is advisable to apply as soon as possible.

An appointment with the office should be made in advance.

The following documents have to be submitted:

  • valid passport
  • 1 current biometric photo
  • current certificate of employment, scholarship confirmation
  • registration confirmation (Anmeldebestätigung)
  • proof of health insurance coverage
  • money (cash) for the mandatory fee (50 € for 1 year, 60 € for more than 1 year). Students funded primarily through German public financial resources (scholarships or grants) are exempt from paying fees
  • completed application form

More information (in German only)

Address and opening hours of the Foreigners’ Registration Office:


Landesamt für Bürger- und Ordnungsangelegenheiten (LABO)
Foreigners’ Registration Office
Keplerstraße 2
10589 Berlin
Phone: (+49 [0]30) 90269-4000
Fax: (+49 [0]30) 90269–40 99
E-mail: abh(at)labo.verwalt-berlin.de

More information:



If your research visit is based on an employment contract in Germany and will last more than 6 months you will effectively be liable to taxation in Germany on your globally-earned income and assets.
In Germany, income-tax as well as contributions to pension fund, health insurance, unemployment insurance and care insurance are deducted from your salary by your employer and paid directly to the respective offices in monthly rates.When you register with the Residents’ Registration Office (Bürgeramt) you will be assigned a life-long identification number (please ask for it). After about 3 months you will get a letter from the Federal Central Tax Office (Bundeszentralamt für Steuern, BZSt) telling you your tax ID number/personal identification number. Please be sure to give a valid address so that the letter can be delivered correctly.
Once you have received this number please hand it over to our administration.
The amount that you are taxed depends on your income and family status. The tax classes are:• single, without children: tax class 1
• single/divorced/widowed, with children: tax class 2
• married couple, of which only one partner earns an income: tax class 3
• married couple, of which both partners earn roughly the same income: tax class 4
• married couple, of which one partner earns more than the other (tax class 3 for the partner with the better income and tax class 5 for the partner with the lower income)Any changes in your personal records relevant to calculating your taxes (number of children, family status) must be announced to your local tax office (Finanzamt) immediately.NOTE: Scholarship holders are not considered employees: they are exempt from taxationDouble taxation agreements
To prevent foreigners paying taxes in both Germany and their home country double taxation agreements have been signed with many countries. Details can be found here.Tax return
At the end of each calendar year you may apply to the tax office in your place of residence to have your income tax adjusted (“Lohnsteuerausgleich”). This may entitle you to a partial reimbursement of tax paid. Information and necessary documents can be found here.

Health insurance coverage

When you start work in Germany, you are required to have health insurance coverage.
You must register with a recognized, mandatory health insurance provider of your choice within seven days of arrival.
Employees and students must obtain insurance with a statutory/compulsory health insurance company (for example: Techniker Krankenkasse)
Self-employed persons and scholarship-holders must obtain private health insurance. The following companies may be of interest in this respect:

People from countries which have reciprocal arrangements with the Federal Republic of Germany (EU and EEA countries, accession states, Switzerland) should ask their national health insurance provider about the best insurance coverage. A European Health Insurance Card (EHIC, form E 101/A1) may be sufficient for this purpose.

Information about German health insurance can be found here

Bank accounts

In Germany it is necessary to have a bank account to pay bills or to receive your salary. We therefore ask you to open an account as soon as possible. Most banks will require that you show your passport, a copy of your registration confirmation (Anmeldebestätigung) and a confirmation from:
a) your employer that you work here or
b) a scholarship/grant awarding organization.
Services and fees can differ considerably from bank to bank.
Please note: the Postbank will ask for a residence permit of at least 6 month

Child allowance (Kindergeld)

Child allowance (Kindergeld) is usually paid when the applicant is domiciled or normally resident in Germany and is liable (without limitations) to taxation here. All children are entitled to child allowance from birth up to the age of 18. Payment can continue until the children are 25 if they are still in education.
Child allowance is €190 per month for each of the first two children, € 196 for the third child and €221 for each subsequent child.
You can apply for Kindergeld at your local Family Benefits Office (Familienkasse) which is operated by the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit).The following documents have to be submitted
. your passport
. registration confirmation
. birth certificate of your children
. translation if they are not in German
. completed application forms

Please be sure to report any changes to the Office, if your employment ends or you and your children leave Germany.
For more information see here (in German only).

Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Molekulare Pharmakologie im Forschungsverbund Berlin e.V. (FMP)
Campus Berlin-Buch
Robert-Roessle-Str. 10
13125 Berlin, Germany
+4930 94793 - 100 
+4930 94793 - 109 (Fax)

Diese Website verwendet Cookies zur Verbesserung des inhaltlichen Angebots. Datenschutz OK